Dans le Centre Commercial

It may be a sign of a long winter when cabin fever hits before Christmas. 

I have been feeling listless and cooped up lately, then I realized I have not done any plein air painting.  That also could explain why there haven't been many posts to the plein air online group I like to follow, New York Plein Air Painters, either.  With lots of subzero temperatures this week, I needed a creative work around.  So I thought, "Why not go to the mall?''  I could get a little Christmas shopping done too. So instead of "en plein air" this week, it was "dans le centre commercial."


 
I didn't bring my outdoor easel, I just packed supplies in my art bag.
 
 
 
These people were kind of interesting but they kept moving.
 
 
 
Then I found Santa and his agent.
 
 
 
I composed my picture,
 
 
 
zoomed in
 
 
 
and got to work.
 
Santa seemed to be having a good time. 
His "Ho, Ho, Hos'' were very loud like he was singing. 
Maybe he is in a choir during his off season.
 
 
 
After an hour I got this far.  I was thinking of a vignette approach like Tom Ryan demonstrated for the Upper Hudson Valley Watercolor Society this fall. 
 
 
 
Snack at Panera did not disappoint: 
pumpkin pie bagel, hazelnut cream cheese and earl grey tea
 
 
 
Back home in studio I worked on it some more.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Laura, I think you're more brave to paint in the mall than in sub-zero temps, and you did a terrific painting, always good to see, Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt, it was a fun time. There was a happy holiday bustle at the mall and the jolly Mr.Santa didn't mind posing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts