New Paints and Familiar Lake View




I read about Golden Open Acrylics in Plein Air Magazine. They are a new formula created to dry more slowly than traditional acrylics.  This new recipe makes them a good choice for on site or plein air painting.  I was scoping them out in my art supply catalogs and then thought to check if my local A.C. Moore store had them.  On a Friday night with a coupon, one thing led to another, and I came happily home with the landscape set.
 
 

 
New paints = fun
I did a color chart for my own reference and for Terri and Karen's amusement.


 
I chose a familiar lake view which I can see through my laptop window, such amazing technology.
 

 
a quick value sketch


 
My first painting with new paints
 
It was a very fun.  I was challenged to remember the oil painting method of building the darks first then putting the lights and highlights on top.  When working in watercolor, I use the opposite method of working light to dark and using the white of the paper for the very white.
 
It's like playing different games.  Sometimes the goal is to get the most points and sometimes you win when you have the least amount of points. It is like stacking many layers of color in a pile then flipping the pile upside down in your head and putting them in reverse order.
 

 
I worked on a small 5x7 watercolor block.
 
The size may make Judy smile and the quarter, used for reference, is to make Michelle, Suzanne and my Dad and Mom laugh.
 

 
newly arranged acrylic kit
 

 
A little nostalgia here with the lake view
 
This is the first watercolor I did when I started doing art work again in 2010.
 
 
 
Here is one of my first plein air oil paintings also from the lake.
This is when I learned the importance of having a canvas carrier and a small portable easel.
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts