Considering the Lilies: Three Plein Air Sessions in July

 
Session One
 
Enjoying wild thyme, day lilies and painting in the morning




 
"in situ"
 
 adverb, adjective
 situated in the original, natural, or existing place or position
 
In situ is a new term for me that I heard used of artwork displayed in an alter piece, as it was originally designed, rather than taken out of the framework and the church.  It really is more grand when seen all together.  I was thinking of this as I took this photo.
 
another view
 


 
 
 
 
Second Session
 
Back again with the lovely lilies
 


 
This one clambered over my easel like a happy little child saying, "Pick me, pick me!"

 
set up and ready to go
 
  

 
finished up with this
 
I took a few more Claude Monet-ish photos.  Monet is probably my favorite Impressionist painter.  Lately I've been thinking his home set up with lots of flowerbeds and a lily pond is a great idea.  I think Mr. Monet was on to something.


 
 
 
 Red Poppies at Argenteuil  Claude Monet  1873
 

 
A large pot of green tea, a fortunate cup and a cookie at a quiet café
 
 
 
Session Three
 
 I wonder if anyone is persevering to this last part?
 
 
When the sunlight reached just the right height over head the lilies lit up and got into another painting.


 
last sketch of the day



 
Snacking on the go at a little park and what do I see ...
 

 
...more lilies.


 
 

Comments

Popular Posts