The Malcolm Tree and The Blanketing Sky


 
The Malcolm Tree, Bar Harbor, ME
12 x 16 acrylic
 
This painting was inspired by a trip to Bar Harbor this May.  Our room was a short walk from the shore and Bar Harbor Island and this was the sunset the first night there. It is funny to me because it could pass as a Florida landscape yet I was about as far north as you can get on the east coast. 
 
Another cause for chuckling was remembering how much we enjoyed listening to Malcom Gladwell's  David and Goliath book on audio on the ride there. We first learned of the author through an interview by Eric Metaxas for Socrates in the City
 
 
 
 
This 90 minute clip is one third rambling humorous introduction, one third interesting book details and one third stirring inspiration.  What I realized after painting this scene, is that Mr. Gladwell's hairdo shows up in the little tree, and so I must call this, The Malcolm Tree, Bar Harbor, ME.  As the daughter of a hairdresser, I guess these things are bound to happen.
 
 
 
 
The Blanketing Sky
22 x 28 oil
 
This large oil painting is from a series I did called One View Six Ways.  During the winter, I picked different views I had painted outside en plein air and did them six different ways:  photography, black and white drawing, oil pastel, soft pastel, watercolor and oil painting.  It was a great way to explore one scene in different mediums. 
 
This view is one of the many lovely vistas at the Saratoga National Historic Park. 
 
 



Comments

Popular Posts