Flowers for Jamie


 

The flowers came from my sister Michelle who works at a local flower shop and were arranged by our daughter Joanna. The bouquets are the handiwork of two generations of resourceful and creative aunts who got busy. The photo was taken the morning of the baby shower for our beautiful daughter in law Ashley who is expecting our first grandbaby. The gender of the baby was revealed in the fall by an amazing, multifaceted celebration of life with family and friends. In the grand finale, purple silly string was sprayed on the happy crowd. This meant, of course, that it’s a girl and she would be named Jamie Rae.

As I painted this, I remembered the opening show of my painting professor in college, Scott Brodie. The new teacher debuted at the gallery with a show of six foot tall, brightly colored paintings of flowers called Flowers for Benny. They were inspired by the birth of his first child, Benjamin.  It was a dazzling and sweet response to his life event. 

I have a strong genetic predisposition to love flowers. My grandmothers were both experts at growing and arranging them. It was a normal thing to notice, enjoy and give flowers to each other. Even among our friends there is a suspicious amount of landscapers and serious gardeners. I have yet to get skillful at growing flowers but I love all the variety of forms and bright colors. I literally make a bee line for them wherever I see a flash of vivid colors.

As a little girl, I wondered the open fields at my grandparent’s farm picking wild flowers to bring to my Grandma.  She loved them and made a happy fuss finding just the right vase from her tall hallway cupboard. The humble little arrangement was the centerpiece for the family dinner.  Not long ago, I brought my Grandma a bouquet of golden yellow roses at the nursing home. I was so thankful I could give her this small gift the day before she died.  

When some ladies find out they are going to be grandmas they start knitting booties and hats, crocheting blankets and sweaters or stitching small quilts.  I was feeling a bit panicky and intimidated not knowing anything about knitting.  How am I going to be a grandma if I can’t take a scane of yarn and make something cozy, cute and useful out of it?  I was comforted when I realized God makes all kinds of grandmas. I am not a knitting grandma but I am probably a painting grandma and, by the looks of it here, maybe a writing grandma too. Phew, what a relief. So that explains this painting called Flowers for Jamie.  How sweet it is God would bring a new little lady into my life and I can’t wait bring her flowers.
 

 

 


Comments

Popular Posts