Photography Artist Statement


I love to photograph light.  Light is fascinating and powerful how it makes ordinary things extraordinary.  Sunlight shining through a mason jar of wildflowers transforms it into a beaming treasure. I love to study the universal and the particular and find that the Milky Way and the blossoms of a Queen Anne’s lace are drawn by the same Mapmaker. 

I love to photograph people. People are beautiful just being themselves and connecting with others.  I am continually drawn to children with their genuine joy and candor at play, to generations connecting making a family wiser and stronger and to a surprise of shared humor which breaks down barriers and uplifts the laughers.   These experiences are also universal and particular. They are a light shining through making the everyday a celebration.

My goal in photography is to capture these moments, share what I see and make a connection with others.


My love of photography started as a race down white sand with my Mom’s little Kodak Instamatic in hand trying to get a photo of a Florida sunset before the sun slipped down into the ocean.  When the film was developed, I was thrilled to see the photo captured what I saw.  Since then, my interest in photography has never faded and I am still happiest with a camera close at hand.  I used a 35 mm camera for many years but in 2003 reluctantly set it aside to give digital a try.  Ten years and 42,442, or so, photos later I can say I am totally satisfied with the wonderful advantages of digital photography.

 

Comments

Popular Posts